If your next travel destination is Portugal, then you should consider renting a car in Porto Portugal and enjoy the easy ride. On the contrary to what people believe, renting a car in a foreign land isn’t as complicated as people think.
The process is pretty straightforward and easy in Portugal, and the overall procedures aren’t fussy. Renting a car may save you a lot of money during your travel. Not to mention that you can also enjoy flexible travel arrangement and freedom in your trip. But before you decide on which company to choose, there are several things that you need to consider.
About Porto in Portugal
Porto is a nice city in the northwest area of Portugal, located along the vast Atlantic Ocean. The city is situated on Douro River’s northern bank. To say it’s a nice little city would be an undermining statement because it’s actually the second biggest city in Portugal, right after Lisbon.
Porto was initially known as Oporto, especially amongst English speakers during the 18th and also 19th centuries. The city was well-known for the port wine exports. Wine exports took place from (Port of) Oporto to the remaining places in the global scope.
As it was mentioned before, Porto is super popular for the port wine. However, it’s also popular for the Douro River and its views. The city has impressive bridges. In fact, the city is known for the bridges, such as Dom Luis I Bridge. Besides the bridges, there is also RIbeira district, which is one of the historical spots in Portugal.
Why should you consider renting a car in Porto Portugal? Renting a car in Porto allows you to explore the city in your own pace and convenience. You can freely visit Livraria Lello bookstore, port wine cellars, Ribeira district, Dim Luis I Bridge, or Clérigos Tower. In case you don’t know it, some of the places in Portoa have been chosen as World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Those places are Douro River and Ribeira district.
One of the most unique travel destinations in Porto is the bridges. There are some of them located in different locations within the city, including the iconic and historical Dom Luis I Bridge. There is also the modern one, Arrabida Bridge, that offers direct city view with its magical scenes.
As it was stated before, renting a car in Porto Portugal is practically easy and straightforward. In most cases, some of these car rental companies (international or local ones) apply these basic requirements:
- You will have to be at least 21 years old to rent. You should have your driving license for at least a year. If you are 21 years old, you may be charged with extra fee. But if you are at least 25 years old, you may be charged a standard rate. Some companies may be okay with 18 year of age limit, but the majority prefer at least 21 years of age.
- You should have a valid driving license. Even when it’s from your home country, that’s fine. You won’t need an IDP (International Driving Permit), but in case you want one, you can get it without going through complicated process. It’s pretty cheap and fast too.
- You will need to show a proof of valid identity, such as your passport.
- You should be using a credit card to pay, and the credit card should match your name on the passport. If you are abroad, you need to use a credit card instead of a debit card. If you are adamant in using a debit card, don’t be too surprised if many of these companies may reject you.
What Car Rental Companies to Choose?
Renting a car in Porto Portugal is easy because you have tons of different options. There are some of the best rental car company in Portugal, whether you stick with the international names or the local ones.
- You can easily find international names, such as Sixt, Hertz, Budget, Avis, or Europcar. They are running at Porto Airport, but they also have other offices all over the cities.
- Feel free if you prefer the local names. They can even provide more affordable fee and rates. However, don’t get your hopes high when it comes to car selection because they usually have more limited options.
- Some people find it helpful to use car rental comparison site so you can easily choose your ideal option. You can use these websites to help you enjoy better arrangement.
- You can ask your hotel to help with car rental arrangement. However, it will cost you extra. In fact, it’s definitely pricier than having to manage everything on your own. Of course, they are convenient as the car can be dropped off within the hotel. If you want comfort and convenience, and you don’t mind spending extra, this method can work well for you.
How Much Should You Prepare?
When you are thinking about renting a car in Porto Portugal, cost should be included in your priority. In general, the rental cost depends on the rental company, the type of vehicle being used, and how long the rent goes. In the standard rate, a small economy ride may cost from €5 to €30 a day. Bigger vehicle or the luxury types may cost from €30 to €70 per day – even more.
Here’s one way to save up money: You can always make early reservation. You will likely get the best deal. If you rent the car for longer period of time, you may even get lower price. Renting a car for 5 days will be cheaper than renting it for 3 days. Moreover, the price may hike up during summer months, especially from June to the middle of September. You need to make early booking if you are coming to Porto during these months.
All in all, managing a car rental service isn’t complicated or difficult, even when you are abroad. As long as you follow the regulations and you follow the procedures, renting a car in Porto Portugal isn’t only easy, but it’s also fun to do.